ACHIEVING YOUTH SHAPED SCOUTING
We will continue to add resources to this website as we hear of more great and successful ways that youth shaped scouting can be implemented into each section!
Youth shaped scouting is not something that can be achieved overnight, and the method of achieving the Vision will have to reflect the age, maturity and ability of the young people concerned.
It is also important to remember that involvement should be a right for young people but not an obligation, and although all young people should be encouraged to actively participate, some may choose not to.
Before you can improve youth involvement in your group, it is important to identify what you are already doing.
GETTING YOUNG PEOPLE INVOLVED
There are lots of things that you can do to involve the young people in your section in shaping what you do:
- Introduce forums into your section. Specific information for setting up forums in each section can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Ask young people for feedback and use it to inform future decisions on activities and events. You could circulate simple feedback forms at camps and activity days or have a suggestions box at your meetings.
- Encourage members to produce a section newsletter that could reflect on the activities they have done. It could be circulated to other Groups and leaders to share feedback and ideas.
- Set up a ‘diary room’ at a meeting or event, where young people could go and record their opinions onto a video camera.
- Look at the advice on youth involvement provided by World Scouting.
- See what South Yorkshire Scouts are already doing with their youth involvement project.